Problems Caused by Improperly Sized Furnaces & Air Conditioners
Sizing an air conditioner or furnace properly is not an easy task. Many homeowners are currently running over-sized and under-sized systems and don’t even know it. Furnaces and air conditioners are not “one size fits all, “and if the units in your home were not installed by a skilled and reliable HVAC contractor you may have this problem already.
Furnace & A/C Sizing Gone Wrong
Normally, when something is bigger and more powerful it means that it is better than something smaller. However, in the HVAC industry, bigger is not better! When too small of a unit is installed, it is usually found that either the homeowner installed it on their own in an effort to be more economical, or it was installed so long ago that the sizing rules have changed. In either situation, you end up with major problems in the years after the installation. Some of these include:
- High Energy Bills: When a unit is too big it cycles on and off more frequently, and this eats up a lot of fuel. If the unit is too small, it will run for hours and hours to try and reach the temperature set on the thermostat. The extra time spent running also wastes energy. In the end, the homeowner’s energy bills are sky high.
- Temperature: Whether the unit is too big or too small, the temperatures in the home will not be consistent. Some areas won’t get enough, some may get too much, and overall home comfort is greatly diminished.
- Humidity: When an air conditioner is not properly sized, it is not able to remove humidity from the air. As a result, you will experience discomfort and possibly even suffer from the damage that excess moisture can cause to a home. Mold growth is just one of the problems caused by excess moisture in the air of your home, and that is not something that any homeowner wants to deal with.
- Return on Investment: When you install a high efficiency system in your home, you expect to see a return on that investment within a few years. However, if that unit is the wrong size, you will greatly diminish your return. Systems that are improperly sized are also prone to failure. Within a matter of 5-10 years you could be replacing the unit all over again. If you have ever invested thousands of dollars on a unit before, then you know that this is not something you want to re-invest in any time soon.
Furnace & Air Conditioner Sizing Done Right
If you are considering replacement of your old furnace our air conditioner, you can trust the experts at ProZone to ensure proper sizing! A proper sizing will involve checks of the following:
- Square Footage of the Home
- Climate Location
- Insulation in attic and other key areas of the home
- Type and age of windows
- Sunlight exposure through windows
- Ceiling heights
- Number of rooms occupied on a daily basis
With this information, we’ll be able to find a unit to match your homes specific needs. We offer free in-home estimates on all new equipment, backed by industry-leading guarantees so you can rest assured of a job done right when you choose ProZone Air Conditioning and Heating for your furnace or air conditioner installation!